How to Know When to Get Dentures
People have long believed that only older patients could replace their missing teeth dentures. Fortunately, dentures can be used by anyone due to advancements in dental technology. However, most people don’t know when to get dentures. Continue reading to learn when full and partial dentures in Magnolia can benefit you.
Signs You Might Need Dentures
Dentures are teeth replacements that resemble teeth and gum tissue. They are customized to fit your mouth, restoring function and improving aesthetics. Different types of dentures include partial, complete, and implant-supported dentures.
When you have oral health issues, only a dentist can help you determine the type of treatment you need. The same case applies when you need dentures. However, there are some signs you can check for to see if you might need dentures. A few of them are highlighted below.
- Regular dental exams and cleanings by a dental professional are essential. Visiting the dentist at least twice a year will help prevent oral health issues. It also enables the dentist to diagnose and treat them before they become severe.
If you do not attend dental checkups twice often, you may develop issues that lead to tooth loss. Therefore, the dentist will extract the teeth and replace them with dentures.
- Extreme tooth pain that does not respond to medication can signify that you need dentures. This type of pain indicates an infection inside the tooth. If it spreads or is left untreated, it will result in tooth loss. The dentist in Magnolia will fill the gap with a partial denture.
- Sometimes, your teeth may be damaged, causing embarrassment whenever you smile. You may get dentures to replace the damaged teeth and improve your smile.
- If you notice blood in your mouth when brushing or flossing your teeth, it may be a sign that you need dentures. Bleeding, tender, swollen or red gums indicate gum disease. When it advances, gum disease causes your teeth to shift or feel loose and eventually come out.
- You may need dentures if you have difficulty consuming hard or chewy foods. Problems with eating are usually caused by tooth damage, gum disease or cavities. These may necessitate tooth extraction and replacement with dentures.
How Many Teeth Can You Lose Before You Need Dentures?
Full and partial dentures in Magnolia can replace any number of missing teeth. You can get partial dentures to replace a single tooth or complete dentures for an entire arch. However, the number of teeth you need to lose before requiring dentures depends on individual goals.
If you need dentures to help you chew food, you should have less than 20 teeth that do not have occlusion with each other. This means teeth in the upper jaw do not come together with those in the lower jaw, helping to chew. You will need dentures to restore full chewing function.
Dentures can replace several or a few teeth if you want to stabilize your jaw and prevent teeth shifting. Replacing one or two missing teeth prevents teeth misalignment and improves oral health. In addition, you can substitute a few or several teeth to improve your smile and keep your jawbone active.
The Benefits of Getting Dentures
The dentist in Magnolia assures you of the benefits below when you get dentures.
- You will talk and eat well when you get customized, high-quality dentures. They will help you eat all foods and speak without worrying about the dentures slipping.
- Dentures give you a more youthful appearance by keeping your face from looking sunken. They preserve your facial structure keeping your face full, unlike how it does when you have no teeth.
- Most teeth restoration methods depend on your gums, teeth or jaw condition. Patients can use dentures without healthy jaws, gums or teeth.
- These restorations are easy to maintain and keep clean. They do not need expensive maintenance. Brushing, rinsing and soaking them will suffice.
- They improve oral health by reducing the risk of developing dental health issues.
- Dentures boost self-confidence lost due to tooth loss or damaged teeth. They replace your teeth in a natural-looking way helping you to feel more confident.
Visit us at Tamborello Dentistry- Magnolia, TX, to restore your smile with dentures. We provide different types of dentures and help you choose a suitable one.